An ice cover grew across the reservoir from 20 to 23 Oct 2017. Stress cells at stations E and F were installed on 23 Oct 2017, cells at station A were still in place from the season prior.
Three measurement stations were installed at the dam. Station F has one pressure cell installed, while Stations A and E have four cells each. The naming scheme corresponds to the season 2016/17. Load reducers were applied to Stations E and F.
Current measurements are available as Excel 2007 spreadsheet Taraldsvik_consolidated_data.xlsx.
- Battery Voltage: 13.8 V (11 Dec 2017, 08:05 CET)
- Air Temperature: -4.3 °C (11 Dec 2017, 08:05 CET)
- Water Temperature at 1.3 m: 1.7 °C (11 Dec 2017, 08:05 CET)
Stresses and Temperatures
Sensors at the dam
Summary of ice formation and break-upClick on dates in table below to watch timelapse movies.
|2013 break-up||18-22 May||-||-||-|
|2013 ice formation||17 Oct||19 Nov||-||-|
|2014 break-up||24-29 May||7-20 Jun||-||-|
|2014 ice formation||12 Oct||5 Nov||10-27 Oct||-|
|2015 break-up||29 May-3 Jun||1-19 Jul||29 Jun-5 Jul||-|
|2015 ice formation||12 Nov||21 Nov||16 Nov||-|
|2016 break-up||14-17 May||early Jun||26 May-1 Jun||-|
|2016 ice formation||16 Oct||23 Nov||3 Nov||3 Nov|
|2017 break-up||25 May-8 Jun||10 Jun-3 Jul||6-16 Jun||mid May|
|2017 ice formation||23 Oct||-||-||14 Nov|
Timelapse of Ice Seasons
- 2014/15 at Taraldsvikfossen Reservoir: https://youtu.be/vdO74tNzyVw
- 2014/15 at Iptojávri: https://youtu.be/rDm2mD-VvQs
- 2014/15 at Tjårdavatnet: https://youtu.be/jpQ3PKKvJGw
Processed Data of Previous YearsTaraldsvikfossen data recorded in previous seasons are available here (Excel 2007 files, 30 to 100 MB each):
- O'Sadnick, M., C. Petrich, B. Arntsen, and B. Sand (2016). Observations of Ice Stress at Taraldsvikfossen Reservoir, Narvik, Norway. In Proceedings of the 23rd IAHR International Symposium on Ice, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, 31 May to 3 June 2016.
- O'Sadnick, M., C. Petrich, B. Arntsen, and B. Sand (2016). One Year of Timelapse Photography at Two Norwegian Reservoirs- Observations and Recommendations for Future Field Campaigns to Monitor Ice Stress. In Proceedings of the 23rd IAHR International Symposium on Ice, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, 31 May to 3 June 2016.
- Petrich, C., I. Sæther, B. Sand, and B. Arntsen (2016). Comparing field data with numerical simulations of ice loads on dams. In Proceedings of the 23rd IAHR International Symposium on Ice, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, 31 May to 3 June 2016.
- Petrich, C., I. Sæther, L. Fransson, B. Sand, and B. Arntsen (2015). Time-dependent spatial distribution of thermal stresses in the ice cover of a small reservoir. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 120, 35-44, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2015.09.003.
- Petrich, C., I. Sæther, L. Fransson, B. Sand, and B. Arntsen (2014). Preliminary results from two years of ice stress measurements in a small reservoir, In Proceedings of the 22nd IAHR International Symposium on Ice, Singapore, 11–15 August 2014, A. W.-K. Law (ed), NEWRI Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. 452-459. doi:10.3850/978-981-09-0750-1_1191 (pdf)
NRK Nordland reported on 25 Feb 2015: NRK TV